Thursday 24 September 2015

Take me with you, please?

One evening I sat at the computer, yet again seething and/or sobbing at the atrocities happening all over the planet and the inhumanity shown to those so desperately in need.

My fingers hovered over the keyboard. I took a deep breath and typed “Hi Ann, I would really love to join the volunteers on the trip to Calais if I can be of use and if there is a space in one of the vehicles for me?’

I immediately deleted the whole paragraph! What was I thinking? I couldn’t do something like this. It was scary, unknown. Dangerous??

My heart was pounding - I wanted to do this. There was nothing on the calendar, no excuse not to go. I needed to go I really HAD to go.

I retyped my message again to Ann, took a deep breath as I hit ‘send’. Then I waited for a reply. 

I changed my mind back and forward a hundred times before Ann came back to me. It was as simple as a yes or no at this stage as she was waiting for all the volunteers to come forward so that she knew  what seat space might be available. So I continued to take in more donations and attempted to educated the narrow-minded on the whole refugee issue while I waited ...



Finally, the wait was over, I got the email to say that there was a space for me on the convoy and by now I was so determined to see this load of donations across to Calais that I wasn’t faltering on my decision to go – I was going, and that was that!

I updated my FB status:-


Despite educating myself as much as is humanly possible on the Refugee crisis and harassed and bombarded all my family and friends with images, videos and pleas for donations - thank you to those who have come through and supported this - I still feel that I haven't done enough. Therefore thanks to an empty seat with my name on available on the convoy to Calais with High Wycombe - Donations for refugees and Jungle Solidarity-High Wycombe-Aylesbury-Bucks I am going over to Calais with the team and your donations to help distribute them. We'll also be working in the warehouse which is vital. Some of the team are going out for a week to build shelters too. Watch this space from 9th October for updates on our mission ...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment