Friday 4 September 2015

The donations

I began to empty my own house of any useful items I could find for the inhabitants in the Calais camp and started to receive bags of clothing, food, toiletries, tents and sleeping bags from donators. All donations had to be stored in my car as its a really bad time space-wise for us right now with the garage out of action! 

At the time I didn't think this lack of space would prove an issue as there wouldn't be that much to store ... by the end of the first day I had enough items delivered to my house to fill my car twice over, at least, and with more pledges on their way ... eeeeekk!





Panic and gratitude ensued and after getting word from a friend I was very relieved to discover another local collection group Jungle Solidarity-High Wycombe-Aylesbury-Bucks who were situated just a few roads from me on Binders Yard – perfect! I contacted a guy called Tony and made arrangements to drop off the first car load; storage problem sorted.

I arrived at Bay Tracks Limited's workshop and was welcomed by Tony Sterry the owner of the business. We chatted about how we had got involved in all of this and it turns out we had pretty much put the call out to people on the very same day - mutual madness united us LOL

We unloaded my very full car into Tony’s workshop, which already had a couple of loads of donations stored, and it began to look a little ‘full’, to say the least! Not an issue said Tony, I can store some stuff at home too, no problem! 'No problem' has been a resounding phrase uttered by Tony all the way through this amazing mission, what a great guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment