Friday 9 October 2015

A few hours into the day at the warehouse, Gayle, one of our volunteers, came and asked if I wanted to help them deliver some logs into the camp. I jumped at the chance of going to help with this and Gayle, Louisa and myself along with 'Uncle' Labied set off in convoy with a transit full of wood, dates and rice.

The police had had the most direct access to the camp locked down earlier in the day, which meant a long journey round to the back of the camp. Luckily as we approached the quick route the slip road was open despite a police van being there and several police officers who were glaring at us as we approached - there is no love lost between police, refugees or anyone helping the refugees!

It was as we approached the slip road that I got my first look at the infamous double fence with loops and loops of razor wire atop them which have been erected by the French using money given by the UK government, I'm lead to believe.

This fencing, two fences one side of the dual carriageway and two the other are a deterrent to keep the refugees away from the road and

No comments:

Post a Comment